Friday, March 12, 2010

Yoga and Buddha: Connection and Disconnection on Your Path

I have found it interesting that the focus of the two great spiritual practices to come out of India, Buddhist meditation and the practice of Yoga have such a surface level difference in focus.
Suffering and transcendence of suffering are the focal point of much Buddhist meditative practice whereas the focal point of yoga is yoking yourself to the world and your experience. In Buddhism a focus on your ability to disconnect yourself from your personal experience is emphasized. In yoga a focus on fully connecting yourself to your experience and manipulating your experience is emphasized.

I know that there is much in common with both practices from a philosophical and cultural context but they take very different approaches to get to similar destinations. Connection and disconnection is a common theme whether we are compared to a wave in an ocean, temporarily separate but eternally connected or we conduct experiments using posture, breath and focus.
I find Buddhist practice to share more common ground with the practice of the Catholicism that I was raised in than most yogic practice with the exception of Bhakti Yoga. I am not specifically speaking of the Catholic Mass or Liturgy but rather that of devotional practice.
In the past twenty years, as I have worked to find my place in the world and to live each day along a spiritual path, I have softened in my judgment of others and in organized religions and have focused more upon the prayers that connect me to God or the divine nature of the world, a purposeful disconnection from what is occurring here and now.
But I have also purposely connected to the here and now by more directly living by a set of expressed values.

No comments:

Post a Comment